This article mainly want to tell you that how to split password protected PDF into single page PDF by command line under Mac system. The software I use is named as VeryPDF PDF Toolbox Shell for Mac, by which you can also split separate PDF files are all single-page. This function is useful in some situation that you want to split large multipage PDF to small size ones. And splitting PDF is just a slice of functions of this software, please check more on homepage. In the following part, let us check how to use this software.
- There are three versions of this software: Mac, Linux and Windows. Here I will take the Mac version for example. If you are other system user, please download the proper version.
- When downloading finishes, there will be a .dmg file. You need to double click the downloaded file to extract it to some folder then you can open it and find some extracted sub folders: bin folder, doc folder, test folder and lib folder. Please find executable file in bin folder. In the test folder, you can find some examples.
Step 2. Split PDF by command line under Mac system.
- When you use this software, please refer to the usage and examples. Here is the usage for your reference:
pdftoolbox <input files> [options] <-outfile output >
- When you need to under Mac system, please refer to the following command line templates:
- When split password protected PDF into single pages, please refer to the following command line template.
pdftoolbox in.pdf -split -inputpassword foopass
By this command line, you can input password of PDF and then split it into single pages.
pdftoolbox in.pdf –split
By this above command line, we can into single pages.
pdftoolbox in.pdf -split -outfile pg_4202794.pdf
This command line has the same functions with this one.
pdftoolbox in.pdf -split -outfile out_%02d.pdf
pdftoolbox in.pdf -split -outfile out_%04d.pdf
By this command line, we can and name output PDF in a special name templates.
Now let us check related parameters together with splitting PDF under Mac system.
-split : split a multi-page PDF file into single-page PDF files.When split PDF, you can add suffix like _%04d to the end of the specified output file name so that numbers like 0001 can be added to the result file names. _% means multiple PDF files; 04d refers to 4-digit.
-inputpassword : remove owner password when merge or decrypt PDF.
If you need to know more functions, please visit parameter list. By those above, you can split password protected PDF into single page PDF easily. During the using, if you have any question, please contact us as soon as possible.